[Mageia-discuss] Handbooks - the lot

Dimitrios Glentadakis dglent at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 16:05:23 CEST 2012

Στις 11 Απριλίου 2012 3:53 μ.μ., ο χρήστης Wolfgang Bornath <
molch.b at googlemail.com> έγραψε:

> check
> >>
> >> Hmm, Obviously we are talking about different things. I thought I
> >> clearly showed that there is a need and that the topic of thei thread
> >> is to find a solution.
> >
> > The thread is just a request to exclude documentation. IMO the real need
> > is unclear (not only disk space apparently). If you fulfill every
> > request right away, you'll end up with a lot of options. Better to
> > analyse why something is asked and provide that. Gives a better
> > experience than just another option somewhere.

> >> No, disk space is not the only reason but the most prominent. For the
> >> rest of this paragraph I have no clue what you are talking about.
> >> Either it's the language barrier or maybe my lack of tech
> >> understanding.
> >
> > I mean that is is better to know more than "exclude documentation". That
> > is just a request, but I don't get why it is made. E.g. if the sole
> > reason would be to minimize disk space, then the most logical thing is
> > to include this where disk space is handled.
> >
> > I'm not talking technical, but more use cases.
> >
> > E.g. yesterday one of my disks was full. I could easily resolve, but
> > once you understand that one of the reasons for the exclusion of
> > documentation is disk space, then you can put intelligence to exclude
> > documentation not only in the Mageia installer, but also in the
> > notification of not enough disk space (you could have an option to
> > remove the documentation on disk). Similarly, if I move to a bigger
> > disk, I might want to easily reinstall the documentation that was
> > manually removed.
> >
> > Now if the only possibility to exclude documentation was in the Mageia
> > installer, then such an installer option doesn't really help when you
> > lack disk space later on.
> >
> > Hope you're getting what I am after.
> >
> > Btw: I am not trying to do anything near "stop energy", just want to
> > understand the use case better. The "why" is what I am after.
>
> Yes, I see, thx for clarification.
>
> Now, we have several use cases here:
>
> 1 - disk is small (I have a netbook with a 4Gb SSD), I don't want to
> waste space for ballast.
> 2 - disk is small, I don't want to waste space for ballast but I want
> some handbooks and/or some documentation (meaning I can mark the
> handbook I want and leave out all others)
> 3 - disk space is no issue but I do not want to bloat the installation
> and only want the software installed which I really use.
> 4 - disk space is no issue but I want to save download ressources when
> doing updates with rpmdrake (where you can't just say '--no-suggests')
> 5 - disk space becomes an issue later so I want to remove all the
> handbooks with rpmdrake but not the applications themselves. And I
> don't want to go 'rpm -e -nodeps' for each and every single handbook
>
> I am sure there are more use cases, for me the need for a small
> installation was the small SSD in the netbook but I also think as #3
>
> --
> [...]

On the other hand if someone has a real limit with hard disk space, he can
use another DE as icewm or lxde.
Or in KDE he can delete the handbook folder (doc/HTML) and what ever folder
thinks that takes usefulness place in the drive.
If we don't provide the handbooks (with the applications) we will devalue
its importance, and personally will be very discouraged to translate them.

* I am not at home, actually  how much space they take ? For what kind of
size we are talking about ?

--
Dimitrios Glentadakis