[Mageia-discuss] beta2 woes and no graphical root (tonyb)

R James upsnag2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 04:41:50 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Tony Blackwell <tablackwell at bigpond.com> wrote:
> As the OP, I'll comment that although the config was AllowRoot=true, in
> /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc, all previous versions of Mandriva/Mageia going
> back a number of years, right up to M2beta1 after online updates, have
> supported setting this flag as allowing graphical root access to gnome as
> well as kde environments.  I hear the impassioned objections of some of our
> leaders, and admit that the weight of expressed opinion in this thread is
> against it, but a number of us have found the ability to do this useful at
> times and I request its restoration.
>
> I'd be happy as ftg commented that it still have the same red screen warning
> etc etc as before - agree it makes sense not to be obvious.

[root at localhost ~]# LetMeLoginToXasRoot
bash: LetMeLoginToXasRoot: command not found
:-(

[root at localhost ~]# vi LetMeLoginToXasRoot
{clickity click, clackity clack :wq}

[root at localhost ~]# cat LetMeLoginToXasRoot
#/bin/sh
echo
echo "So you want to be naughty?...OK ;o)"
sed -i 's/user != root//' /etc/pam.d/kdm
sed -i 's/AllowRootLogin=false/AllowRootLogin=true/'\
 /var/lib/mageia/kde4-profiles/Default/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
echo
echo "Enter: service dm restart"
echo "Then have a lot of fun!"
echo
exit 0
EOF

[root at localhost ~]# chmod 744 LetMeLoginToXasRoot

[root at localhost ~]# ./LetMeLoginToXasRoot

So you want to be naughty?...OK ;o)

Enter: service dm restart
Then have a lot of fun!

[root at localhost opt]# service dm restart
:o)

[root at localhost opt]# GetMeABeer
bash: GetMeABeer: command not found

[root at localhost opt]# sudo GetMeABeer
sudo: GetMeABeer: get your own #!@$ Beer!
;o)

HTH - RJ

"Unix was not designed to stop its users from doing stupid things,
as that would also stop them from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn