[Mageia-discuss] Temporarily changing IP address

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Tue May 22 16:08:06 CEST 2012

>>> No :-(  No difference, even though I restarted the network service,
>
> Lets start from scratch.
>
> But first, can you tell me the ip address of the NAS and your laptop's IP
> address for eth0.
>
> After making note of these, put the laptop back to it's original config.
> (i.e. remove the manually created interface) and set wlan0 not to come up
> on reboot.  Then restart so you only have an ip address on eth0.
>
> Then send me the info.
>
> Doug

in fact, if we want it to be even simpler, you could add the ip address
without a alias interface wit iproute2

[]# ip addr show eth0
[]# ip addr add www.xxx.yyy.zzz/netmask dev eth0

this will add an ip address on that interface, and

[]# ip route

if you're done:

[]# ip addr del www.xxx.yyy.zzz/netmask dev eth0

should now show you a route into that different subnet

this means, no mess with alias interfaces or separate settings, or anything.

to be sure, restart shorewall service (in the event it filters on the
interface ip addresses)