[Mageia-discuss] Temporarily changing IP address

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue May 22 16:35:13 CEST 2012

On 22/05/12 15:08, AL13N wrote:

>> Lets start from scratch.
>>
>> But first, can you tell me the ip address of the NAS and your
>> laptop's IP address for eth0.
>>
>> After making note of these, put the laptop back to it's original
>> config. (i.e. remove the manually created interface) and set
>> wlan0 not to come up on reboot.  Then restart so you only have an
>> ip address on eth0.
>>
>> Then send me the info.
>>
>> Doug
>
> in fact, if we want it to be even simpler, you could add the ip
> address without a alias interface wit iproute2
>
> []# ip addr show eth0

# ip addr show eth0
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether 1c:75:08:28:bd:e4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 169.254.100.1/24 brd 169.254.100.255 scope global eth0
    inet6 fe80::1e75:8ff:fe28:bde4/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

> []# ip addr add www.xxx.yyy.zzz/netmask dev eth0

# ip addr add www.192.168.0.20/255.255.255.0 dev eth0
Error: an inet prefix is expected rather than
"www.192.168.0.20/255.255.255.0".

Not sure what it is expecting.

> this will add an ip address on that interface, and
>
> []# ip route
>
> if you're done:
>
> []# ip addr del www.xxx.yyy.zzz/netmask dev eth0
>
> should now show you a route into that different subnet
>
> this means, no mess with alias interfaces or separate settings, or
> anything.
>
> to be sure, restart shorewall service (in the event it filters on
> the interface ip addresses)

Shorewall and iptables are currently stopped.

Anne