[Mageia-discuss] TV Card and Web camera confusion + Soundcard

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sun May 27 18:41:39 CEST 2012

Hi,

I reported this problems with Mageia1 last October and if you follow the
thread you will see that a temporary fix was found for the problem[1]:

Le 2011-10-13 14:07, Marc Paré a écrit :
 > I have a TV card (PCI) and a USB webcam. If I restart my Mageia, the
 > TV card no longer works. I then have to go into TVtime.xml (I use TV
 > time to view my TV) and then modify this line that I have included in
 > the file: <option name="V4LDevice" value="/dev/video0"/>
 > or
 > <option name="V4LDevice" value="/dev/video1"/>
 >
 > Is there anyway to prevent the video call from changing at reboots?
 > I just bought a webcam for my 78 year old mother with the same TV
 > card and I wouldn't want her to go through the same procedure each
 > time she re-boots her Mageia.
 >
 > Thanks for any help.
 >
 > Marc

Just to let people know that this problem is still happening with Mageia2.

However, this time, Mageia2 picks the webcam as the recognized soundcard
by the system and it becomes impossible to use any sound on the box.

The fix: re-boot the computer WITHOUT the USB webcam. The TV card will
be properly recognized as well as the soundcard. Plug in the webcam
after the computer has booted.

The drawback: If you reboot your computer, you will have to unplug your
webcam and wait till your box has completed the reboot.

I hope this will help anyone with the same setup, or, maybe someone on
this list could find a permanent fix, or, should I submit this as a bug
right away? You should read through the original post for Mageia1, it
may give you more information.

It would be nice if Mageia could properly recognize all devices and not
force users to unplug a webcam after every re-boot.

Cheers,

Marc

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.mageia.user/5357