[Mageia-discuss] Formal request to the Board/Council

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed May 30 17:34:59 CEST 2012

2012/5/30 Anne Nicolas <ennael at mageia.org>:
> Le 30/05/2012 12:43, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
>
>> A. Request to open discussion logs of the board about the Mandriva
>> agreement
>>
>> I'm referring to the announcements wrt the collaboration with Mandriva
>> SA and the usage of the Mageia distribution as base for server
>> products, as announced in the blog entry:
>> http://blog.mageia.org/en/2012/05/21/mageia-comes-full-circle/
>>
>> 1. I am NOT against any of the points mentioned there, so pls do not
>> take this as an unfriendly act or even a lack of trust in the board or
>> single members of the board. This it is definitely NOT!
>>
>> 2. I respect the need for non-disclosure by the Mandriva SA side while
>> these negotiations/discussions were going on. I also respect the fact
>> that the internal discussions of the board about the matter were not
>> to be held in public at that time.
>>
>> Now the announcements were made in public these reasons for
>> non-disclosure are not valid any more.
>>
>> **Therefore I request the logs of the internal discussions of the
>> board about this matter to be opened to the public and this opening
>> being announced to the public.**
>>
>> I am positively sure that 2 weeks are more than enough to decide on
>> this request.
>>
>> Reasons:
>>
>> 1. Transparency is a top requirement for such a project as Mageia. The
>> more this transparency is needed if the matter is of great interest to
>> all members of the Mageia community. If the transparency can not be
>> provided because of valid reasons (as has been the case here) it
>> should be established as soon as these reasons are not valid any more.
>>
>> 2. The following questions are not answered by a mere announcement:
>>
>>  - was the decision to enter the agreement with Mandriva SA unanimous
>> or were there votes against it?
>>  - if there were votes against it who were the people voting in favor
>> and who votest against it?
>>  - what were the arguments of both sides
>>
>> These questions can only be answered by opening the internal logs
>> concerning this matter.
>> Again: this request only concerns the *internal* discussions in the
>> Mageia board, not any discussions with external entities (namely
>> Croset and/or Mandriva SA).
>

> Here are the details.
>
> After first contacts, the discussion took place on council mailing-list (see
> https://ml.mageia.org/l/arc/council/2012-03/msg00078.html). But after
> Mandriva wish we did go on on closed discussions, as explained wy Wobo in
> his mail. But at that point consensus was already there.
>
> Second step happened after a second meeting with Mandriva. We mailed a
> summary of this meeting on board-private first and get an agreement of *all*
>  board members about the way we wanted to manage Mandriva proposal.
>
> Then on third step, a mail about all this has been sent directly to all
> council members proposing a way to handle all this. Then people went
> directly to pad to work on public announcement. Nobody expressed any
> [...]

Thanks Anne and all members of Board / Council for the fast and
understand way you handled this.

Request closed (except for the contact issue)

A good solution for the contact issue was given by Nicolas (IIRC):
Send the request like I did  to mageia-discuss (with this formal tag
in the subect) and add the matching contact address (board or council)
in CC.

BTW:http://www.mageia.org/en/contact/ gives NOT FOUND when called from
http://www.mageia.org/en/map/

--