[Mageia-discuss] Need help recovering execute permission on local files

Len Lawrence tarazed25 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 16:28:32 CEST 2012

On 11/06/12 13:58, Alejandro López wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Len Lawrence <tarazed25 at gmail.com
> <mailto:tarazed25 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/06/12 12:28, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>
>         On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 11:33:46 +0100
>         Len Lawrence<tarazed25 at gmail.com <mailto:tarazed25 at gmail.com>>
>          wrote:
>
>             After a warm reboot this morning I found that I no longer
>             had the
>             ability to run my own commands even though the permissions
>             are correct
>             and ownership is lcl (uid=500).  User system commands are
>             OK so
>             running a script via ruby for instance works but trying to
>             execute the
>             script by itself fails even though it is fully executable.
>              This
>             applies to all my local bin commands.  Command aliases
>             however do work
>             as long as they do not involve running any of my bin files.
>
>             Even root cannot execute these bin commands; same message
>             "Permission
>             denied".
>
>             In addition the system has switched me to autologin.
>              Trying to run
>             mcc I was told it cannot be run in console mode (??).  If
>             I login as
>             su mcc comes up in console mode, which I am not inclined
>             to use.
>
>             The hostname on this machine is belexeuli; this does not
>             appear in
>             the command prompt: [lcl at localhost ~]$
>
>             After su: [root at belexeuli lcl]#
>
>             This may all have something to do with my adding groups
>             and changing
>             group ids yesterday in my attempts to implement a viable
>             sudoers
>             command.  It worked and I could log out and in again
>             without any
>             problems.  I even managed a reboot without trouble but
>             today is
>             another story.
>
>             I suspect that solving these multiple problems is beyond
>             my technical
>             skill even with help so a full reinstall is probably the
>             best bet.
>             However I will await any comments.
>
>             Len
>
>         You say that the permissions are correct, but do they include
>         execute
>         permissions?  The prompt difference may be simply that root's
>         prompt is
>         no longer the same as a user's prompt.  It is set by a config
>         file for
>         each user.  You can see the code for it by typing "echo $PS1"
>         In my
>         case, that gives "[\u@\h \W]\$"  The \h puts in the hostname.
>          You can
>         change it for the current session by typing at the user prompt:
>
>             PS1="[\u@\h \W]\$"
>
>         You can make that permanent by putting it in your
>         .bash_profile, where
>         it should override the other at your next login, but really,
> [...]
mtab contains this entry:

/dev/sda6 /home ext4
rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

fstab had:
# Entry for /dev/sda6 :
UUID=341956e4-fddb-45a6-a191-4c912328ec7a /home ext4 user,defaults 1 2
none /proc proc defaults 0 0

I have removed the "user," because it does not tally with my other mga2
workstation.
That does not have noexec against /home.

About to reboot.

Thanks for the pointer.