[Mageia-discuss] HP Printer

Gary Montalbine gmontalbine at cox.net
Sat Jun 23 16:25:49 CEST 2012

On 06/22/2012 06:38 PM, JA Magallón wrote:
> On 06/22/2012 11:48 PM, AL13N wrote:
>> Op vrijdag 22 juni 2012 15:36:15 schreef Gary Montalbine:
>> [...]
>>> I have an LCD monitor. This old man is strictly a user. I was hoping
>>> that someone that was using an HP in Mageia with good results might
>>> provide a model number. I am completely lost by all the technical
>>> specifications listed for each printer. My needs are simple. I want to
>>> be able to use it as a copier and most important, is color printing that
>>> matches within reason the colors on my monitor. My current printer is
>>> not mageia compatible. Monitor color calibration will not correct it.
>>> Help appreciated.
>>> Thanks, Gary
>>
>> consider this:
>>
>> most printer/scanner/copiers, have a copy button that works without any
>> computer attached.
>>
>> to find out if the printer or computer is not at fault, you can just
>> copy a
>> page.
>>
>> then as a second test, scan the same page using computer, and look at
>> difference, then print it out again.
>>
>> with these 3, you can see that there can be alot of difference. even
>> for normal
>> users.
>>
>> but most likely will the copied page and the scanned and printed out
>> one will
>> look the same.
>>
>> i'm guessing the monitor is the most likely the one to be wrong in
>> showing the
>> color, it's also the most difficult one to get right. I've never been
>> able to do
>> it.
>>

> There is a background problem here: there is no _good_ color, or there
> is none
> of your devices that is the _right_ one.
> At most, you can calibrate your monitor to show the same that will be
> printed
> on your printer, but none guarantees you that it is the _true_ color.
>
> To do that, you have first to be sure that your printer prints ok. For
> that, you
> can just get a professional industry-printed color chart, like Pantone, and
> a digital version, and try to print that and compare. Missing Pantone, you
> can try with the Macbeth Color Chart:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_chart
> http://www.ae5d.com/macbeth.html
> http://www.babelcolor.com/main_level/ColorChecker.htm
>
> or just google for it. But to compare you need one you don't have printed
> yourself.
>
> And once your printer is calibrated, start working with your monitor and
> your scanner...
>
> Color calibration is not an easy subject. I have not checked Linux
> nowadays,
> but in the past Macs were the best for color calibrated works.
>
> Theoretically, if you set your profiles for your printer and monitor from
> a database (if you are lucky and your models are there), you should
> [...]

I copied a color photo on my printer. The printed copy was darker in the
red areas and slightly lighter in the yellow green area. A scan into
gimp showed a slight darker red than the original. The specs for the
printer indicate there is no color calibration available. In fact a
check of other Hp printers also shows no color calibration avail.
Thanks, Gary