[Mageia-discuss] Problems with Local Mail - SOLVED?

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Mon Jun 25 18:23:18 CEST 2012

On 06/25/2012 11:43 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> It's odd, but I may have solved the problem. That said, I still don't
> understand why. During the time I've been trying to solve this, I have
> made two changes. First I added a newline character in
> /var/spool/mail/anne - this seems to have disappeared, so I doubt if
> that was the reason. The other change was to make the ownership
> anne:mail. Maybe that helped?

I thought you had posted earlier that you changed the ownership to
anne:mail and that didn't help ?  That is the correct ownership.

If you're using IMAP through TB, your mail folders will be under
$HOME/.thunderbird/xxx.default/ImapMail/servername.  The problem you
describe with /var/spool/mail/anne can only occur if your MTA (postfix)
doesn't have write authority to that file.  In fact, I notice on my
system that my /var/spool/mail/ftg file has ownership ftg:mail, but the
permissions are only rw-------, so I guess postfix must be assuming an
euid of the recipient before trying to write to the file, i. e. the
group shouldn't matter.

In any case, if you can do
     mail anne
     Subject: Test
     line 1
     CTRL-D

and it gets through to /var/spool/mail/anne, then it's working.  If it's
not, try renaimng the file as root, rerun the test, and see what gets
created for that file.

If you still see the message, try to identify what's issuing it. It's
possible that if TB somehow got hooked up with that file, it may be
trying to auto-compact it or something.