[Mageia-discuss] Do Mageia have something like this?

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Fri Jan 11 15:37:42 CET 2013

On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> That takes care of usb drives where you have NTFS and exFAT file
> system you want to access. That not what the blog posts is talking
> about. There are other types of usb devices, such as printers,
> scanners, cameras, wireless network devices and what not. ntfs-3g does
> not handle any of them, unless they also have a file system accessible
> by usb. His idea is to have some sort of notification that a new
> hardware device is plugged in, and if the device is not supported by
> the currently installed packages, figure out which package you need to
> install, and give the user a button to click that will install it.
I think that's supposed to be handled by separate device-specific apps,
probably in response to an event issued by the generic USB support when
the device is recognized.  For instance, a disk is handled by automount,
printers are handled by system-config-printer or possibly CUPS, wireless
by net-applet or NM, etc.