[Mageia-discuss] Do Mageia have something like this?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Jan 22 11:49:40 CET 2013

On 11/01/2013 16:37, Frank Griffin wrote:
> On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
>> That takes care of usb drives where you have NTFS and exFAT file
>> system you want to access. That not what the blog posts is talking
>> about. There are other types of usb devices, such as printers,
>> scanners, cameras, wireless network devices and what not. ntfs-3g does
>> not handle any of them, unless they also have a file system accessible
>> by usb. His idea is to have some sort of notification that a new
>> hardware device is plugged in, and if the device is not supported by
>> the currently installed packages, figure out which package you need to
>> install, and give the user a button to click that will install it.
> I think that's supposed to be handled by separate device-specific apps,
> probably in response to an event issued by the generic USB support when
> the device is recognized.  For instance, a disk is handled by automount,
> printers are handled by system-config-printer or possibly CUPS, wireless
> by net-applet or NM, etc.

And what about all other devices?

For example, getting a UPS with a USB port working is not something a
non-technical user is able to do on Mageia at present, but is trivial on
Mac OS X (I haven't tried on Windows recently).

The examples in the blog post were about Yubikey and Lego Mindstorms.

Some time ago, on Mandriva, there was a tool to do things like this (it
would put an icon on the desktop for a scanner, or webcam, if you
connected one).

Regards,
Buchan