[Mageia-discuss] Grub problem in install of MGA 1 and MGA 2

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Mon Mar 25 10:06:06 CET 2013

This is a problem I had this week-end when doing a full install of Maheia 2,
which repeated when I re-installed Mageia 1

-The scene: A full install from the official DVD, all partitions formatted.
except for /home which was not mounted for the install

The install process went without any visible problem.

--The symptom: Rebooting after the install gets stuck before Grub displays its
screen.

So each time I rebooted the DVD, and choose Install to upgrade (hopefully),

Surprise: although I had done a full install and have no other OS installed, I
am offered to upgrade Mageia 2, Mageia 1 and Mandriva 2010.1
Bizarre, bizarre...

Same problem, so I rebooted, started Rescue, and tried to reinstall the boot-
loader.

And there other surprise, I get two error mesages from Grub,
Error 21 Selected device does not exist
Error 12 Invalid device requested.

So I suspect that the install process tried to install Grub, failed, and
happily went on its way, without warning of any problem, leaving me each time
with an unusable system...

Is that a bug ? Could it happen in MGA 3 ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                   Most people want either less corruption
                  or more of a chance to participate in it.