[Mageia-i18n] Translation

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Thu Dec 1 19:06:38 CET 2011

Rémi Verschelde skrev 1.12.2011 19:42:
> 2011/12/1 Jakob Gezelius<jakob at knugen.nu>:
>> Hi!
>> I want to help to translate Mageia to Swedish. My name is Jakob Gezelius and
>> my user name is Androidnisse. I've followed the guidlines on the wiki but
>> there is no Swedish translation group. So i wonder how do I start one and
>> start translating?
>> Dear regards Jakob

Thanks for helping out Jakob.

> Hi Jakob, and welcome to the i18n team.
> It's great that you join us, since we didn't have a Swedish
> translation team, as you saw on the wiki. You were right to add
> yourself there.

Yeah, I haven't had time to do any translating at all since Mageia 1,
and all translations then were done directly in svn, and I haven't added
anything to transifex.

And since I'm currentl overloaded with my daily work, university and the
stuff I maintain in Mageia 1 and Cauldron I dont see this changing
anytime soon...

So I dont mind someone else picking up the teamleader status & work as
long as it's done properly.

> I added your Mageia account to the mga-i18n group: it will enable you
> to log into transifex.mageia.org, which is the web-based tool that we
> use for string translation. Could you try to log there once? Then I
> can add you to the Swedish translation team (see here:
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Short_guide_to_transifex ), and you will be
> able to start the real work.
>
> As you can see here:
> https://transifex.mageia.org/projects/p/mageia_i18n/r/mga2/ only 14%
> of the strings of the software specific to Mageia are translated in
> Swedish for Mageia 2. Though, most of those tools come from Mandriva
> where most of them were translated, so the first step is:
> - Have a look at this page to know which .po files were already
> imported to Transifex (short Tx), namely the project which are mostly
> translated.

Well, Swedish translations was pretty much at 100% for Mageia 1 so
thats a good base to start from.

> - Use this wiki page
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/List_of_Mageia_transifex_projects to find
> on our SVN the sv.po files for the other softwares. There are a few
> projects which are partly translated on Tx (like 20% or so), you
> should check if the .po files which are on the SVN do not contain more
> translated strings (maybe Umeaboy, who seems not to be active now,
> started translating from 0 while there were already .po files he could
> have used).

Yeah, Umeaboy started from scratch in transifex without even checking if
translations existed before....

So I'd suggest to grab the .po files from svn and use them as base, and
compare the translations from transifex to see if some of the
translations are needed/better/...

and when you have merged the translations in the .po file, upload it to
transifex and also commit it back to svn.

> - Import those .po files to Tx under the right project name (see the
> page linked above for a correspondance).
> - Then you can start the strings which were modified after the fork,
> mostly strings in which "Mageia" replaced "Mandriva" or new/fixed
> strings added by the developers.
>
> If one of the point is not clear enough, feel free to ask for more details.
>
> You can have a look here for a short guide to Tx:
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Short_guide_to_transifex

And if you need any info from me, just ask...

--
Thomas