[Mageia-i18n] mailing lists for i18n language teams

Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin) franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw
Mon Jan 10 02:11:29 CET 2011

Hi,

Michael Scherer 於 0100-01-10 寫道:
> Le lundi 10 janvier 2011 à 08:33 +0800, Franklin Weng a écrit :
> > In Taiwan, the official language is Traditional Chinese (zh-TW).  (
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_Mandarin , I think).
> >
> >  Taiwanese_Hokkien is the most popular dialect here, but not for our
> >
> > reading/writing system.
>
> So there is a language for reading, and another one to speak ?

I should say, Taiwanese (dialect) are common in speaking, but it does not have
its own word.  Mostly use Chinese word to present, or use Romanization to
present its pronounciation.

> > Also, in mainland China they use simplified Chinese (zh-CN).  So there
> > will be a lot of troubles if we just use i18n-zh as our mailing list
> > name.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > If Mageia decided to use language names as mailing list name instead of
> > using region names, we need to use
> >
> > i18n-zh-tw at ml.mageia
> >
> > so that we can distinguish from i18n-zh-cn and (probably) i18n-zh-hk,
> > i18n-zh-sg, ... etc.  You may not know that, even we both use traditional
> > Chinese, in many cases zh-TW and zh-HK are using different words for the
> > same thing.
>
> Well, we do the contrary in french.
>
> Some people use "kids" to mean "offspring" while I use it for "painful
> small source of noise" /o\

Well, the development of language / culture are quite special in China, Hong
Kong and Taiwan.  That would be a very, very long story...

> > Now, the question is "when you translate something, what is the name of
> >
> > > the file that you modify", ie what .po. Or how are the lists/group
> > > called in other project ?
> >
> > zh_TW (in KDE and Gnome)
>
> so let it be i18n-zh_tw ( like i18N-pt_br ).
>
> I am not sure that email is case sensitive, afaik, it shouldn't , and so
> using lowercase is nicer ( on a typographic level ).
>
> I will create a 2nd batch of ml once the first one will work fine.

i18n-zh_tw is okay for us.

I'll inform our users for this.

Thanks,
Franklin