[Mageia-i18n] mailing lists for i18n language teams

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Jan 10 01:58:29 CET 2011

Le lundi 10 janvier 2011 à 08:33 +0800, Franklin Weng a écrit :
> 2011/1/10 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>
>
> > Le lundi 10 janvier 2011 à 08:01 +0800, Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin) a
> > écrit :
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > I guess for Taiwanese users we need to use i18n-tw at ml.mageia.  Right?
> >
> > It seems that would it would  be i18n-zh if you speak of
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_Hokkien
> >

> In Taiwan, the official language is Traditional Chinese (zh-TW).  (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_Mandarin , I think).
>
>  Taiwanese_Hokkien is the most popular dialect here, but not for our
> reading/writing system.

So there is a language for reading, and another one to speak ?

> Also, in mainland China they use simplified Chinese (zh-CN).  So there will
> be a lot of troubles if we just use i18n-zh as our mailing list name.

Indeed.

> If Mageia decided to use language names as mailing list name instead of
> using region names, we need to use
>
> i18n-zh-tw at ml.mageia
>
> so that we can distinguish from i18n-zh-cn and (probably) i18n-zh-hk,
> i18n-zh-sg, ... etc.  You may not know that, even we both use traditional
> Chinese, in many cases zh-TW and zh-HK are using different words for the
> same thing.

Well, we do the contrary in french.

Some people use "kids" to mean "offspring" while I use it for "painful
small source of noise" /o\

> Now, the question is "when you translate something, what is the name of
> > the file that you modify", ie what .po. Or how are the lists/group
> > called in other project ?
> >

> zh_TW (in KDE and Gnome)

so let it be i18n-zh_tw ( like i18N-pt_br ).

I am not sure that email is case sensitive, afaik, it shouldn't , and so
using lowercase is nicer ( on a typographic level ).

I will create a 2nd batch of ml once the first one will work fine.
--
Michael Scherer