[Mageia-i18n] Proofreading translations - a suggestion

Margot margot at otfordduckscomputers.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 12:24:04 CEST 2011

I've noticed the rather heated debate on proofreading, and I have a
suggestion...

Professional writers do not proofread their own work - they
understand that it is too easy to make the same mistake in
proofreading that was made in the original work, so they get
someone else to proofread.

Ideally, in Mageia, each translation should be proofread by someone
else after translation so that errors can be corrected before
publication (on website, SVN etc.). This would mean that each
language team would need at least four people so that all the work
could be covered even if someone was ill, on holiday or too busy.

In larger teams for more popular languages there shouldn't be any
problem finding someone to proofread, but some of the less popular
languages don't even have four people in the team. Those in small
teams will be under more pressure to cope with the workload, and
people under pressure tend to make more errors!

Obviously we should try to recruit more people for the minority
languages, but until Mageia has a wider user base it might be
difficult to find people who would be confident enough in English
to join a translation team.

However, I thought that if we had problems recruiting translators,
we could also advertise for proofreaders to join the translation
teams - people who are not confident enough in English to take
part in the actual translation, but who could proofread translated
files in their own language.

As well as taking some of the pressure off the translators - and
reducing Oliver's workload in having to repeat the submitting of
corrected files - it would be a nice way for more people to be able
to take part in the production of Mageia.

What do you think?

--
Margot