[Mageia-i18n] Transifex discussion

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 19 16:52:41 CEST 2011

Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> schrieb am 19.06.2011
> Le dimanche 19 juin 2011 à 09:24 +0200, Remco Rijnders a écrit :
> > - When uploads from .po files from svn fail, no clear error
> > message is
> >
> >    given. This makes it harder to learn what the issue with the
> >    file is.
>
> This issue can be lowered by using msgfmt -c on the file before
> upload. It would be better to have a clearer message, but we can
> change the procedure.
I think, Tx tells you to check it with "msgfmt -c", but I have to
admint, it's easy to miss it.

> > - Translation credits are an issue still. Upstream has indicated
> > a fix for
> >
> >    this. When can we expect to see this in our version of
> >    transifex?
>
> When the request will be made to sysadmin team :)
>
> Either when there is a upgrade to 1.1 ( which requires a new
> version to be released upstream ), or if we find the time to
> deploy the plugin.
It would be good to have that option available before Mga2, if
possible with enough time to re-insert the already removed credits.

> > - Some unclarity exists on the integration between transifex and
> > our svn
> >
> >    repositories. This integration is possible, but not yet
> >    configured for us. An additional question is if this
> >    integration should be both ways or one-way (from svn to
> >    transifex).
>
> AFAIK, tx no longer can upload to svn. However, it seems that tx
> can pull from svn
Not directly iirc, you have to use tx-client for this...

> > - Proofreading features are missing. It is hard to see what has
> > recently
> >
> >    changed in a project. As a result, a proofreading consists of
> >    the entire .po file instead of just the changed strings.
>
> Using meld or kdiff would help for that ?
It would require the translator to have two versions of each file on
his pc. One new and one older one...

> > - tx does offer 'suggestions' instead of general comments.
> > Unfortunately
> >
> >    they have to be browsed individually and are not easily
> >    searchable.
>
> So you would to see the list of all suggestions, and to search in
> it ? ( that could be easy to do, a simple django template ).
Great! Who knows enough django for this easy template?

> >    add comments to a project and not just a string. e.g. "I have
> >    reviewed the first 200 strings".
>
> There was this bug opened : http://trac.transifex.org/ticket/473
> So if you could investigate about this and see if this fullfill the
> need ?
I think the message board mentioned there is, what we need. Is it
implemented? I didn't see anything like it...

> There is also http://trac.transifex.org/ticket/558
I think, this would be a very nice thing as well, though it's different
from the wish mentioned above.

> > Other wishes not directly related to transifex:
> >
> > - It would be useful that whenever a .pot file changes, a summary
> > or diff
> >
> >    of the changes is sent to the i18n-mailinglist.
>
> Already asked, but we didn't did it yet. Was there a bug report for
> that ( as I completely forgot about it :/ )
I think, there was no bug report, but I'll check and file one :D

Oliver