[Mageia-i18n] Transifex discussion

Diego Bello dbello at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:13:06 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Remco Rijnders <remco at webconquest.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> In last thursdays meeting on IRC the sole topic of discussion was the
> evaluation of the use of transifex for our translation work. This discussion
> was part of our general debriefing / post mortem of the translation process
> leading up to the first official release of Mageia.
>
> The general concensus of this meeting was that transifex is a useful tool
> for the i18n process and quite userfriendly to use, especially to those less
> familiar with tools like subversion for the translation process. That said,
> in this meeting quite some missing features came up that would make
> transifex much more useful to us if available.
>
> This email is intended to summarize the findings of this meeting and to
> invite both those who were and weren't present in that discussion to add
> their views and opinions on the subject. Once the discussion is finished we
> can hopefully come to a list of suggestions and improvement opportunities
> for transifex and our use of it. Once we have the list, we can see which
> opportunities are already available but not used by us yet, which
> opportunities are already identified and worked on by upstream, and which
> 'new' features we'd like to see. For the new features we can file requests
> in the upstream ticket system for transifex. For new features and already
> requested but not yet implemented features we can hopefully also contribute
> to the discussion and development of these features as time and skills
> permit.
>
> Findings:
>
> - When uploads from .po files from svn fail, no clear error message is
> given. This makes it harder to learn what the issue with the file is.
> - Translation credits are an issue still. Upstream has indicated a fix for
> this. When can we expect to see this in our version of transifex?
> - Some unclarity exists on the integration between transifex and our svn
> repositories. This integration is possible, but not yet configured for   us.
> An additional question is if this integration should be both ways or
> one-way (from svn to transifex).
> - Proofreading features are missing. It is hard to see what has recently
> changed in a project. As a result, a proofreading consists of the entire
> .po file instead of just the changed strings.
> - tx does offer 'suggestions' instead of general comments. Unfortunately
> they have to be browsed individually and are not easily searchable.
> - 'diff' functionality should be available in transifex and not only in
> svn. This would massively improve usability for us.
> - 'fuzzy' strings are emptied by transifex. Better handling of fuzzy
> strings would require less work by and confusion for translators.
> - More collaboration features are needed. For example, the opportunity to
> add comments to a project and not just a string. e.g. "I have reviewed   the
> first 200 strings".
>
> Other wishes not directly related to transifex:

> [...]

Some requests for Tx:

- The filter of  translated/untranslated strings doesn't work when
working with huge po files, having to browse page by page until
finding the first untranslated string.
I haven't had problems so far in Mageia but we might need to translate
something big eventually, like rpm-summaries.

- Related to that, you can not go to a specific page of translation
strings, having to either go to the last page or advance every 2
pages. For example, if you have a po file of 1000 strings, displaying
25 strings per page, and you need to go to the string 715, you will
have to go to the last page, then start going back several times
because the index of pages shows 5 numbers, being the current page the
number in the middle.

For example: If current page is 38, you need to go to page 29 to the
the string 715, this is the list of pages shown at the bottom:
first  previous  36  37  38  39  40  next  last

- A page per team is needed as a front page for the team, so I can log
in and check which projects need work in my language. Currently I have
to go to the Mageia team project, then select Spanish to finally get
the list of projects. It doesn't sound that bad now but but we only
have 3 pages of projects to look through. It will be more troublesome
when having to look for the Mageia teams project in a 10 pages list :s

Regards,

--
Diego Bello Carreño