[Mageia-i18n] alpha 2 download page update

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 21:37:40 CET 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 20:36, Remco Rijnders <remco at webconquest.com> wrote:
> - "If you are looking for a stable Linux system, you may prefer to wait
> for later releases of Mageia.". >>> Would that be Beta 1? Or should we say
> that they better wait for the first official release? And does this text
> imply that other distributions are not stable? Perhaps make it explicitly
> specific to Mageia.

This is said in the context of Mageia - and by "later releases" we
meant the stable, will make this more clear for beta1 (with hopefully
a fully redesigned download page).

> - "You still want to download Mageia Alpha 2?  Ok. So first,
> presentations". >>> If you start with a "first", there should be a
> "secondly" following it, which I don't see.

Good point. :-p

> - "Yes! This release is still rough, and so will be the next one, but even
> better!". >>> It is clear to me what is intended here, but this could be
> interpretated as "The next release will be even rougher", not the message we
> want to get across I think.

> - "Yes, this is a rather rough download page, for now. But it is good in
> that it could make this alpha download less attractive to
> non-developers.". >>> I think this part is best left out of the final page
> all together. Do we really want to say that we want a page to be less
> attractive to non-developers? The ISO-images perhaps, but surely not the
> page itself?

No, what that meant was more along the line of: ok, the page is really
ugly but at this point, that's what we have and it's not too big an
issue for the time we're releasing the unstable versions.

But of course, we don't expect at all to keep the website this ugly
for a long time. /o\

> Will there be a next version of this page that will be more 'polished'?
> All in all, this seems more of a comment that has a place in
> drafting the download page before publishing it than keeping it in the final
> version.

It depends. We are in a serious need of contributions on several
fronts, among which are Web and sysadmin teams. So this comment, for
the unstable releases only, is at a correct place, especially when we
are still building things.

The plan is to have a proper download place for the final release, and
possibly during the beta releases. But that's just the plan, the point
is putting it in action.

> Ok, so that's all for now. I managed to write more comments on the page than
> the original page is in length, my apologies for that.

No, thank you for your comments, that helps a lot for the next
revision of the page, really! We need this kind of feedback more
often. :-)

All in all, if we manage to close the copy of the future page in time,
we'll submit here the original English version for review _before_
submitting it for translation - that may help to improve it again.

Cheers!

Romain