[Mageia-i18n] [proposition] Using Translate extension on Mageia wiki

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Wed Oct 19 06:47:12 CEST 2011

> >   - inconsistent navigation in a chosen locale (tested on the KDE Userbase wiki):
> >     - my browser accepts French as a primary language, so content is
> > returned to me in French;
> >     - I decide to look at the Spanish version of a page; fine, it
> > works; my intent is to navigate the Spanish-speaking pages now;
> >     - clicking on another wiki link will forward me to the default URL,
> > that will be rewritten in French =>  back to French, where I would have
> > expected Spanish;
> >     - right, digging into this, this is because those links are
> > prefixed such as: "Special:myLanguage/Applications" which rewrites to
> > Applications/fr
> >

> To me, that is a blocker.  It should default to the browser language,
> and if the user selects another language, it should stick with the
> selection.

Just for the record, as it seems that proposition is rejected, that is exactly what UserBase (it is completely different tweak) do. It uses UA to display pages in user locale language if it exists. If the translation does not exist UserBase does not show empty page (like the planned Mageia setup) but the page in English (no links tweaking on translator side needed). Surely, it is inconvenient if you want to read pages in Spanish in French-localized browser, but that's the different story... ;)