[Mageia-i18n] new translator

Rémi Verschelde remi at verschelde.fr
Fri Jun 8 10:23:14 CEST 2012

2012/5/22 Simple . <simplew8 at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have been talking with some persons in #mageia-i18n so that i could
> help translating.
>
> I was told that i could already start translating by download the
> files and update the .po files, and thats is done.
>
> Then Remmy told i would also need to subscribe to this mailing list
> and present my self:
>
> I'm Pedro and im a pt translator.
>
> I have also added me to the mageia translation teams as told me in channel.
>
> Meanwhile i sent the updated translations to Remmy so that he could
> commit them, but could i get the necessary rights to also commit?
>
> thanks,
> Simple

Hi Pedro, and welcome aboard!

We don't have a pt translation team at the moment, so we are glad that
you are joining in! We have a few translators in the pt_BR team, so if
you want you could work alongside them, even though I know there are
many differences between pt and pt_BR, so I don't propose to merge the
teams :)
It would be nice if you could gather a few other pt translators to
help you, so that you can share the work. In the Mageia project,
localisation concerns the software, the website, the wiki and the
blog. Translating the software and the website is the most important
for now.

The general process for translation is:

- software: All Mageia software that we have to translate are on our
Subversion repository, and you can find the links to the PO files
here: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/List_of_Mageia_transifex_projects (On
our wiki you can read about Transifex, which we used for the string
translation before the release of Mageia 2, but it is now kind of
broken and we are thinking about finding another solution, so for now
we're back to the SVN). If you are not used to translating PO files,
don't hesitate to ask for support here or on #mageia-i18n on IRC. Once
you have translated a PO file, it has to be commited to the SVN
repository to be included in the next version of the software. Please
tell me if you intend to start working on string translation; if you
are the only member in the pt team, you should be granted commit
rights to be able to send your translated file to the SVN repository.

- website: See https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Internationalisation_Team_(i18n)#Website_translation
and don't hesitate to ask questions if something is unclear.

- wiki: translation is on hold for now; I must talk to the
documentation and sysadmins teams to know when the localised wikis can
be deployed and what will their translation process be.

- blog: There is already a Portugese blog for Mageia. I think it may
be pt_BR though, since we don't have many Portugese contributors for
now. You could contact the blog translators to have more information
about it.

Regards,
Rémi / Akien