[Mageia-marketing] Plan - stuff to do pre Beta 1 release

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 5 02:46:02 CEST 2011

Comments inside:

2011/4/4 Patricia Fraser <trish at thefrasers.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> Two things to be written - the release announcement, and the wrapper
> words for the testing day procedure (to make a testing day
> announcement).
>
> Help welcome!
>
> Testing day is Friday/Saturday (08/09-04-11), and we want to announce
> it on release day (tomorrow) and propagate the announcement widely.
>
> Comms plan: release announcement/testing day announcement
>
> What: release (alpha, beta or otherwise)
>
> Who to: Mageia community
>        Open source communities
>        wider community
>
> How:    Mageia blog
>        Distrowatch
>        slashdot
>        other tech news sites
>        Mageia lists - ask list members to forward it to their
> communities (any we've missed) and i18n team, propagate in their
> languages please

I'd structure this a little bit different, although we mean the same:

The "Who" is quite clear: the main announcer (ennael?)
Text proposed by marcomm.

Where:

 - internally
 - - Blog
 - - Forum
 - - Mageia lists

 - externally
 - - Distrowatch
 - - slashdot
 - - other sites

 - through i18n:
 - - translations of the blog and the download page (as has been done
for previous announcements)
 - - spreading the announcement to local communities (lists, forums),
local news sites and online magazines

> Content:  what's being released
>          what's new
 - with link to the release notes

>          where to go to get it
 - link to the download page

>          welcome to new users
>          encourage new makers / contributors
>          about Mageia

To achieve worldwide attention (we should reach this until final) it
should all be spread within a very tight time span, on the same day.
People must be plastered with the Mageia announcement, wherever they
look at that day.

For the future we should implement a procedure where such
announcements will be sent to the translators 1 day in advance.

> Extra for testing day:
>        damsweb's testing procedure
>        inside marcomm wrapper
>
> Time to write: marcomm bit, ready by 05-04-11
>                testing wrapper, soon as I see damsweb's doc

The same procedure in spreading as for the beta announcement,
following as a sequel - people have to regard both announcements as
related, the testing day as a follow-up to the release.

--
wobo