[Mageia-marketing] Plan - stuff to do pre Beta 1 release

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Tue Apr 5 21:05:28 CEST 2011

> >> My point of view for now :) :
> >>
> >> We should prepare all process for beta2 and next releases. Time
> >> is a bit short for beta1. It took time to release isos and on my
> >> side I'm just finalizing things. What I suggest is formalize
> >> this for beta2. WDYT ?
> >
> > Sounds good. Marcomm needs *lots* more input and feedback from the
> > council about what's expected; we need council support to get an
> > actual team rebuilt - and we need to get that process formalised,
> > yes.
> >
> > I'm out of town from the middle of tomorrow until the weekend, but
> > I'd like to get started on the pre-Beta 2 stuff at the start of
> > next week; how does that sound?
> >

> I'm looking forward to your ideas. From my point of view there isn't
> that much to organize:
>
> 1. Announcement for forum, blog and mailing lists has/have to be
> written (who does this?)
>
> 2. Announcements have to be sent to these internal platforms (who
> does this?)
>
> 3. Entries in /. and DW have to be made/sent (who does this?)
>
> 4. Announcements will be localized and spread worldwide by i18n
>
> What else?

Announcement doesn't just have to be written - it needs to be written
in time to be passed back to the community for filtering, sanity
checking and to find out whether the community likes the way it's
being presented. So, it's at least a 2-step process, maybe more.

Before anything can be written (at least, before anything approaching
sensible can be written), the writer needs to have some idea what
they're writing about, and who their readership is (see my first post
early today). It's not good enough to assume that they're writing to
current members of the community who already know enough to fill in
the gaps or who know the context; from everything I've seen since day
1, we also want at some stage to talk to people outside our community
- that means communicating with people who don't know the context or
enough to fill in the gaps.

Sending oughtn't really to be done until we decide where. Do we stick
with the standards of geek community/social media and hope for the
best; do we add mainstream media, and if so, who are we talking to
and what message are we trying to convey? How inclusive will we be,
and are we ready for the possiblity of a large influx of
users/developers/testers; how's our community going to hold up if we
have a lot of sudden change?

So, before we do your points 1 & 2, there's some thinking and prep to
do - possibly quite a lot.

On points 2 and 3, we could perhaps do with some kind of Mageia
Persona to send out information - a press@ or communications@ persona
(which could have anyone at the back end; this persona could submit
stories to /., the fb page, send tweets and issue press releases to
all and sundry. Just a thought.

The mechanism of spreading is the last stage of the journey - there's
quite a bit to do before that. Once there's something to spread, and
a clear notion of where it's to go and who should send it (and who
should do backup to fill the holes), it's fairly straightforward.

What if we get TV interest? Who will handle that and how much backup
will they need/want from marcomm?

We'd like to make a splash with the final release of Mageia 1,
wouldn't we? Will we be ready?

Cheers,

--
Trish Fraser, JD9R RQ2D