[Mageia-marketing] marcom + artwork + web => atelier ?

Sebastian sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Mon Jun 11 14:53:16 CEST 2012

Ok time to reply, read RDA's email very soon after it was sent, but let
other people reply first.  Also I wondered straight away how atelier was
even pronounced.

First of all I don't like the name Atelier. Unless it's just a short
name that isn't going to be used in talks in front of lots of people for
example :) or on pod casts for example, when telling people about
Mageia.  For example last month when I did my Mageia Lightning Talk in
front of 100 to 200 or so people,  when I introduced myself, I used the
full position, deputy leader of the Mageia marketing and communications
team, I also said I was on documentation and artwork.

Oh by the way thinking of putting the video up on Youtube soon
possibly.  Already shown some people it.  Also I think there might be
another video as well that someone else took.

Now imagine if I had said something like, I am the deputy leader of the
Mageia Atelier team.  I expect most people in the audience would have
sat there thinking, what's that?  Then obviously in a short talk don't
want to spend time explaining the meaning of names.

So if Atelier is just the short internal name like Marcom for example,
that is unlikely to be used when explaining about Mageia to other people
that don't really know about it, I think that's ok.  However we need a
proper external name in that case as well, for example: Mageia
presentation team,  Mageia artwork, web, and marketing and
communications team.

Also Mageia may be a French distribution really, but Mageia exists in a
tech world where people are usually expected to know English who are
part of it, as a result Mageia also is meant to be promoted in the
English speaking world, as a result it's a good idea to have team names
and Mageia positions, that instantly make sense to English speakers,
when describing about Mageia.

Patricia Fraser typed:
  Not to put too fine a point on it, at the moment it looks like you,
Max and me. Anyone else putting their hands up? Not that I've seen...
and that's not just for leading, that's for *participating*.

When I found out about this team nearly straight away I thought about
how, I have quite a lot of time at the moment, and so, I would have
enough time to deputy lead the team, or possibly lead it even, if it's a
good enough team, where we actually work properly together.

Also this may be quite a good idea, to have a leader and deputy leader
that is in charge of the team as a whole, but also to possibily have sub
team leaders, so for marketing, artwork, and webteam, for example.

Or here's another idea, don't bother with this team merge idea, just
have a joint meeting for all three teams, and possibly just do one
mailnig list and one IRC channel for all three teams, but still have
them as separate teams.

Sebastian