[Mageia-marketing] Lets build some excitement!

Jonathan Ingold ingoldjo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 23:38:17 CEST 2012

On 06/09/2012 12:27 PM, Romain d'Alverny wrote:
> Hi everyone, (xposted on -marketing, -artwork and -webteam; if
> possible, please follow-up in -marketing)
>
> So here's the plan (actually, that's a suggestion of a plan):
>   - we make a new team; which role is to think, design, produce and
> maintain the identity of the project and its declinations in messages,
> graphics, Web and print [1];
>   - this team is named "atelier";
>   - a new mailing-list is open for that;
>   - it practically merges responsibilities from artwork, web and marcom teams;
>   - it integrates roles as diverse as: design, marketing, graphic
> research and production, copy writing, web design, integration and
> development, curation, etc.
>   - existing web, marcom and artwork lists are kept for archive, but
> locked down and all subscribers are unsubscribed;
>   - will have a say in whatever happens in this team, only those making
> and contributing things (so here, actionable designs, working code,
> graphics or copy, etc.); opinions and feedback from others still
> welcome, but not enough to move forward;
>   - external contributions are a true option; that is, one team peer
> getting in touch/inviting a professional person to propose and work on
> a specific, focused topic, from overall project identity design, down
> to a specific production. It only needs to be stated within the team
> first so that everyone is in sync;
>   - formatting our resources so that one-shot contributions from
> external people are made easier is a true option too (that means
> things easier to grasp, understand and update);
>   - no more meeting, we plan and do things, and update everyone through
> the mailing-list (or other, but asynchronous); so being on IRC is not
> a must, just good to have;
>   - no more than 10 hours a week on Mageia.
>
> Questions:
>   - who's going to lead this?
>   - what's the plan up to Mageia 3? several things at least in several
> regards (identity, print, web, distribution), but that will highly
> depend on who lead(s) the team.
>
> [1] ideally, everything that's the public face of Mageia.Org, the
> Mageia distribution and the Mageia project should go through this
> team; that does not mean that things will not be flexible, but if
> there's one place to discuss, document and synchronize all this work,
> it's here. That, in turn, requires some responsiveness and initiative
> from the team members.
Sounds good to me.  I would like to take on some work especially
concerning Marketing where it appears that we're especially thin here.
I feel that although the distrowatch page-hits are high, there is not
nearly enough of an overall web presence.  I think that Mageia has an
especially good potential to poach Ubunt/Mint users but the buzz just
isn't there.  I tried to add some sites to the list in sandbox, but was
denied permission.  Here are some sites I found:

* http://www.lifehacker.com/ Gawkers tech blog.  Allot of entry level
Linux users
* http://linux.slashdot.org/ /EN - Very well known IT Blog
* http://www.desktoplinuxreviews.com /EN Linux reviews
* http://linuxblog.darkduck.com /EN Linux/Informational
* http://www.linuxbsdos.com /EN Linux Reviews
* https://www.linuxquestions.org /  Linux/Informational
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mageia
* http://www.techradar.com /EN Tech News & Info
* https://www.gnu.org /EN
* http://www.linuxbasis.com/distributions.html /EN
* http://www.dedoimedo.com /EN
* http://www.linuxinsider.com /EN
* http://www.linuxjournal.com /EN
* http://linuxos.pro /EN
* http://www.thisweekinlinux.com /EN

The one of these that I felt could really use some urgent attention is
Wikipedia.  I know this committee/team is in a state of flux with the
merge and all but every day that goes by is a day further away from its'
release.   I have my main contract winding down here so I have some
extra time.  If perhaps someone either from this team or maybe the
document team has some approved language I could write a proposal for a
Wikipedia update.  Let me know what everyone thinks.

Kind Regards,

Digigold

--

        /"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back
        to its old dimensions."/

          *~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.*