[Mageia-marketing] Some ideas submitted for discussion

Josh King josh at linuxpunks.com
Tue Mar 20 21:39:01 CET 2012

On 03/20/2012 12:21 AM, Sebastian sebsebseb wrote:
> Hi Josh
>
> A planet is a good idea, but well Mageia already has planets and in
> different languages as well, however your email reminded me about that :).
>
> I don't see a planet link on the main website though, and there should
> be one really.
>
> http://planet.mageia.org/en/
>
> http://blog.mageia.org/en/2011/02/18/a-new-planet-had-been-discovered/

We have planets, but most seem to be rarely posted to, giving them
impression they're dead or not much going on with Mageia. Broadening
that to include all devs and users (even if on a separate planet feed)
would lead to a much livelier appearance. Other major distros combine
languages, why shouldn't we? Who do I need to approach about making this
happen? If nothing else, I can set it up and host it myself if it's a
question of time/resources.

> Indeed at point 2 and Oliver Burger (aka obgr_seneca) took part in a
> discussion at FOSDEM 2012 (
> http://blog.mageia.org/en/2012/02/19/mageia-at-fosdem-2012/ ) about
> local communites and so on. I highly recommend that you watch the video
> if you haven't already seen it:
> http://video.fosdem.org/2012/crossdistro/Working_with_contributor_communities__round_table_.webm

Cheers! I'll give the video a watch. I don't know that my area has
enough mass for a LoCo style team though :-(

> Much more recently Oliver has also started a WIKI page about local
> communities: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Working_with_local_communities
>
> I have also emailed about the IRC cloaks and @mageia.org email
> addresses. For the IRC cloaks this still needs sorting out with
> Freenode. For the @mageia.org email addresses it seems to be up to the
> leaders of the remaining teams that don't have them, to get it sorted out:
>
> https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-discuss/20120228/006610.html
>
> https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-discuss/20120304/006627.html
>
> https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-discuss/20120304/006628.html

The @mageia.org emails would be nice to have even as an alias. But I
agree some sort of guidelines need to be established to control who gets
them.