[Mageia-marketing] Google+ on Planet Mageia

loqo hoverflydesign at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 24 02:04:53 CET 2012

On 23/03/12 10:56, loqo wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Just a thought: can we add the Mageia Google+ pages to the planet?
> (http://planet.mageia.org/en/)
>
> It should really be in the "Mageia on the web" section with Twitter,
> Facebook, etc.

To clarify:

There are already links to Facebook/Twitter/etc. and we should add a
*link* to G+ there. No feeds.
Visitors should be able to find all of the official social media from
the planet.

I have additional views. Please consider them!

WHY DOES SOCIAL MEDIA MATTER?

Blogs are often "vanity" or "hobby" projects and update quite slowly.
Even once a day is slow. We're not in the 90's any more. In general,
people will read blogs as a one-off reference or source of information.

As a trend, people don't revisit blogs often, because they don't expect
anything to change.

FB/G+/Twitter/identi.ca/Diaspora are very busy and update often, so
revisiting regularly becomes a habit for users. In this way, the social
sites are more popular and "sticky" than any blog. For marketing
purposes we should always remember this! These sites are more useful
than blogs.

Nearly all big companies are spending time, energy and money on social
media. They know they need a presence on these sites. They have good
reason for this. Exposure. Being noticed and growing the brand. These
companies are not spending much time and money on blogs because blogs
don't bring them more customers. It's worth noticing this fact!

SMART USE OF ENERGY

If time and energy (and money) are valuable, we should use them
efficiently. We should: Use social media for sharing news and marketing.
Post news on the official Mageia blog and post links to it on all social
media.

Social media posts are more likely to be shared. It's easier for users.
It spreads the news faster, with less work for us!

Use any other blogs for long articles or personal opinions/ off topic
articles. People's blogs are wonderful, vital parts of the community but
should not be treated as part of the official brand. Let's not lose
track of which things are "Mageia brand" and which are "community
contributions".

FORUMS

We REALLY should use the forums as much as possible because they seem
almost dead to newcomers. Why are we using mailing lists when we can
have sections/threads in the forums? There is a lot more we can do on
the forums. And we should be checking in daily! ;)

Did you visit the forum today?

Most people coming to Mageia will visit the forums before they visit IRC
or anyone's blogs. The forums are a top-link on the main Mageia website
and should be treated as important. The planet should be linked there
too and the planet needs to give social media more importance!

The planet should be a hub to all social media. Blogs are just one type.

BOTTOM LINE

Please take social media seriously. Please don't spend *too* much time
on blogs. Please spend more time on the forums guys!

Thank you for your time.

loqo