[Mageia-sysadm] Main tasks for the next days

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 14:42:03 CET 2010

On 16 November 2010 13:54, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
>> > Without history ?
>>
>> Without svn history, this what I thought we agreed on yesterday
>> (checking http://meetbot.mageia.org/mageia-meeting/2010/mageia-meeting.2010-11-15-19.36.html
>> it is).
>
> The lose of history was for the packages, not for soft ( at least,
> that's what I understand, given the fact that "history" is said 5 times
> and all related to packages, not soft/ ).

Indeed it's what I understood too.

> We all agree that some softwares will need to be cleaned from icons, but
> IMHO, most of them don't. I also think we can do miracles with git-svn
> and history rewriting ( except it may take time ).
>
> But having worked on software without svn history, I can tell you it is
> a source of recurrent frustration. You look at some weird piece of code,
> you do not understand why it was done like this, you do svn blame ->
> "rev 443 admin: import of the old repository". You are screwed.

Yes. It's already painfull to work because one year was lost in SVN history.
What's more it was the first year of SVN usage where we eventually did
major refactoring now that it was possible with SVN in a sensible way
(aka copying/spliting/moving files without loosing history).
Same for packages where we lost one year of SVN and where we didn't
import old CVS history (well that was history without commiter names
and without changelog but still)