[Mageia-sysadm] multiple builds on each nodes

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Mon Apr 11 15:37:12 CEST 2011

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011, Thomas Backlund wrote:

> lör 2011-04-09 klockan 17:55 +0300 skrev nicolas vigier:
> > Hello,
> >
> > ulri is now running two builds on each node at the same time.
> >
> > This improve a lot the average time to have a package built, when a big
> > package like libreoffice is in the queue.
>

> Well, many of the bigger builds are io bound and not cpu bound
>
> For example a kernel build isn't capable of using all cpu power
> available due to io starvation...
>
> So IMHO we should add a second disc to both buildnodes and move the
> second buildbot to the new disc to share the io load.
>
> An other option is of course to set basesystem as raid1 and use the rest
> of the disks in raid0 to get faster io too...

I removed jonund from buildsystem to run some tests on it. I am
currently rebuilding kernel and kernel-tmb at the same time on it.

And it seems the CPU does not spend a lot of time waiting for IO :
Cpu(s): 94.2%us,  5.8%sy,  0.0%ni,  0.0%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem:   8181404k total,  7710776k used,   470628k free,   427864k buffers
Swap:  8185076k total,    85332k used,  8099744k free,  4996808k cached

When this is finished, I will rebuild kernel and kernel-tmb separatly
to compare time.