[Mageia-sysadm] Bittorrent setup planning proposal

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sun Feb 20 21:57:01 CET 2011

 On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:31:31 +0200, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> Michael Scherer skrev 15.2.2011 14:33:

>> - who is volunteer for this ?
>>

>> being volunteer mean :
>> - setting the bt server with puppet ( and so deciding what to use
>> server
>> side, robust, free software, etc, etc )
>>

> Do we know what mdv used ?

 I do not know, but we can ask either to sysadmin from n-1 time (
 benjamin jorand ),
 or n-2  ( nicolas chipaux ). I am not sure there is some much choice.

>> - make sure that hosters are ok with the traffic that it will
>> generate
>>     they will all be ok IMHO, but it is better to warn them,
>> communication cannot do much harm.
>>

> Do the hosters speak/read/write english?

 I assume yes. But we can ask to raphael ( rapsys ).

>> - automate this as much as possible ( I would love to have just one
>> command to type to do a release, but we are not there yet I fear ).
>>

> That would be nice...

 Yup, I see I am not the only one to be lazy /o\

>> - recruit a team of people to seed and find a way to distribute them
>> the .torrent, in a open fashion
>>

> Do we use rabbit for the initial distribution too ?
> (should we do rsync access for initial fetch for initial seeders ?)

 Is it needed ? I think we can let them use bittorrent and ask them to
 keep the torrent client
 running. If we distribute the torrent at the same time that we announce
 the distribution,
 I think it will be ok, provided early seeders have good enough
 connexion.

> And what kind of "requirements" do we have?
> meaning available bw, torrent running for atleast xx days, and so
> on...

 I think we can take every possible people, provided they are volunteer.
 But we can give guidelines,
 like "try to distribute iso where there is few people seeding" ?