[Mageia-sysadm] Bittorrent setup planning proposal

Thomas Backlund tmb at iki.fi
Sun Feb 20 16:31:31 CET 2011

Michael Scherer skrev 15.2.2011 14:33:
> Hi,
>
> so it seems some people ( see blog comments among others ) have asked
> for a bittorrent setup.
>
> Since I think we have more urgent things to do or the Alpha 1, I would
> propose that we target next month for that ( ie alpha 2 ), and so that
> we have a working prototype of the setup for the 7 march 2011.
>
> So the questions are  :
>
> - is the deadline ok ?

I guess we can try.

> - where do we set this ?
>    ( ie, which dc, which server, based on what criteria ). I would say
> rabbit, but maybe dedibox is not ok with that. I would also say "not
> valstar", for security reason.

Yeah, valstar is off limits...
I think rabbit is ok

> - who is volunteer for this ?
>

> being volunteer mean :
> - setting the bt server with puppet ( and so deciding what to use server
> side, robust, free software, etc, etc )

Do we know what mdv used ?

> - likely make sure the package is ok on mageia later ( or bribe a
> packager for doing so )

:)

> - make sure that hosters are ok with the traffic that it will generate
>     they will all be ok IMHO, but it is better to warn them,
> communication cannot do much harm.

Do the hosters speak/read/write english?

> - automate this as much as possible ( I would love to have just one
> command to type to do a release, but we are not there yet I fear ).

That would be nice...

> - recruit a team of people to seed and find a way to distribute them
> the .torrent, in a open fashion

Do we use rabbit for the initial distribution too ?
(should we do rsync access for initial fetch for initial seeders ?)

And what kind of "requirements" do we have?
meaning available bw, torrent running for atleast xx days, and so on...

--
Thomas