[Mageia-sysadm] mirrors readme/howto/script

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Thu Feb 24 16:37:49 CET 2011

* Romain d'Alverny (rdalverny at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> checking the mirrors.readme file, I wondered if we could not only
> provide directions on how to setup a mirror, but as well provide a
> simple bash script that, by default, does what we would expect best
> from a mirror provider, leaving the admin customize it.

> As I did it as an exercise for myself :-p here is attached such a
> script, with comments to guide. Of course, it's intended more to non
> experts as mirroring instructions would be enough and admins may
> prefer to double-check what is going to be run. Still, in the event
> this could help make the mirroring process easier for some... why not
> provide it and see if/how it is used?

Why not.

May I suggest this script must tested on various unix et then must using
'standard' tools (eg #!/bin/sh instead bash).

> You may notice that it would help then that Tier1 and Tier2 mirrors
> are explicitly shown as such in the default mirrors list on
> mirror.mageia.org; so we can point people to, for instance,
> http://mirrors.mageia.org/?tier1 to get only Tier1 mirrors (yes,
> today, there's only one). Does that make sense?

Why not. I don't like the way the option is passed, I prefer /tier1 or
something like that.

Notice hangling single parameter w/o value in Catalyst can be
problematic in some case.

> On a side note, Nanar, how may I submit patches for the mirrors app?
> push the (small) patches to you or commit to trunk directly?

Yes commit to trunk. I'll have a look ASAP.

> As a second-thought, an extension of this script could be to provide a
> sample script to gather download stats and push them to one of our
> server collecting download stats from several mirrors.
>
> What do you think?

At time the apps does the minimum, but XML::RPC or JSON extension are in
my mind.