[Mageia-sysadm] Presentation and contribution to Mageia

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Jul 16 03:50:05 CEST 2011

Le jeudi 14 juillet 2011 à 22:39 +0200, sebelee at free.fr a écrit :
> Hi
>
> After attending Michael's meeting at Libre Software Meeting this week,
> i wanted to know how can i contribute to Mageia project ?
>
> My actual work is sysadmin and for the moment i've no experience about
> open source project...
>
> At work we maintain about 40 Linux servers (Gentoo, Ubuntu) and the
> company newtork (security, vpn links, ...).
> I've experience with Apache, Nginx, MySQL, Munin, Qmail. And know some basics with Subversion and Git (usage and server config).

Hi,

regarding the sysadmin team, we do use puppet quite extensively, so the
first task would be to be familiar with it, and to show you know how to
use it by proposing patches against our repository ( web interface :
http://svnweb.mageia.org/adm/ , checkout on
svn://svn.mageia.org/svn/adm/ ).

The idea is to first see if someone is good enough, and motivated enough
before granting real access ( for obvious reasons ).

We keep a todo list on
https://bugs.mageia.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=859&hide_resolved=1
( some tasks are partially done ).

If you have any kind of questions regarding the infrastructure do not
hesitate to ask, so we can see what can be improved, especially in the
light of the current wiki which is a little bit too short :
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=sysadmin

And among the various things, having documentation would help :)

Another useful task would be to package various tools ( I do not have a
list at hand, sorry ), or improve our current one ( such as
mirrors.mageia.org, identity ), but this requires perl coding ( catalyst
mainly ).

We did receive request from translators about transifex too :
https://mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-i18n/2011-June/002070.html
so that could be a task where people could help.

Now, if you feel we are asking a little bit too much ( as I said in the
presentation, maybe puppet is a little bit too intimidating ), there is
lots of others tasks that would be maybe as useful and interesting
( like packaging, artwork, even if the second is much more complex to me
than system administration :) ).