[Mageia-sysadm] Presentation and contribution to Mageia

sebelee sebelee at free.fr
Sat Jul 16 22:11:51 CEST 2011

2011/7/16 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>

> Le jeudi 14 juillet 2011 à 22:39 +0200, sebelee at free.fr a écrit :
> > Hi
> >
> > After attending Michael's meeting at Libre Software Meeting this week,
> > i wanted to know how can i contribute to Mageia project ?
> >
> > My actual work is sysadmin and for the moment i've no experience about
> > open source project...
> >
> > At work we maintain about 40 Linux servers (Gentoo, Ubuntu) and the
> > company newtork (security, vpn links, ...).
> > I've experience with Apache, Nginx, MySQL, Munin, Qmail. And know some
> basics with Subversion and Git (usage and server config).
>
> Hi,

Hi

regarding the sysadmin team, we do use puppet quite extensively, so the
> first task would be to be familiar with it, and to show you know how to
> use it by proposing patches against our repository ( web interface :
> http://svnweb.mageia.org/adm/ , checkout on
> svn://svn.mageia.org/svn/adm/ ).
>
> Okay, i'll improved my puppet skills and study the actual infrastructure.

> The idea is to first see if someone is good enough, and motivated enough
> before granting real access ( for obvious reasons ).
>
> Ok, no problem.

> We keep a todo list on
> https://bugs.mageia.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=859&hide_resolved=1
> ( some tasks are partially done ).
>
> If you have any kind of questions regarding the infrastructure do not
> hesitate to ask, so we can see what can be improved, especially in the
> light of the current wiki which is a little bit too short :
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=sysadmin
>
> If I have questions or ideas i'll ask.
Of course i'll be an idea to fill the wiki with more details about servers.

> And among the various things, having documentation would help :)

What sort of documentation you mean ? Architecture schema ?  Others ?

> Another useful task would be to package various tools ( I do not have a
> list at hand, sorry ), or improve our current one ( such as
> mirrors.mageia.org, identity ), but this requires perl coding ( catalyst
> mainly ).
>
> We did receive request from translators about transifex too :
> https://mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-i18n/2011-June/002070.html
> so that could be a task where people could help.
>
> Now, if you feel we are asking a little bit too much ( as I said in the
> presentation, maybe puppet is a little bit too intimidating ), there is
> lots of others tasks that would be maybe as useful and interesting
> ( like packaging, artwork, even if the second is much more complex to me
> than system administration :) ).

Puppet not intimidating me, unlike learn it was envoying ;)

> --
> Michael Scherer

Sébastien Kurtzemann