[Mageia-sysadm] Mageia 1 release coming to mirrors

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Jun 1 16:12:14 CEST 2011

Le mardi 31 mai 2011 à 22:42 -0300, Carlos Carvalho a écrit :
> Michael Scherer (misc at zarb.org) wrote on 1 June 2011 03:07:
>  >Le mardi 31 mai 2011 à 18:06 -0300, Carlos Carvalho a écrit :
>  >> Mageia Sysadmin Team (root at mageia.org) wrote on 31 May 2011 21:59:
>  >>  >The expected size of the new ISOs is 14G.
>  >>
>  >> Ugh... How about using jigdo? If you create the jigdo/templates we can
>  >> build the isos ourselves (at the least the full/tier1 mirrors).
>  >
>  >Wouldn't it be a tradeoff of using less bandwidth by asking more work to
>  >mirror admins ? ( ie, setting up jigdo, a script to rebuild, or a manual
>  >run , which mean more coordination ) ?
>
> Big mirrors already have it for other distros, so it won't be a pain.

For d-c, the sysadmins ( me and olivier ) prefer to have everything goes
in the background ( ie sync when it need to be synced ). Now, given
various peering and traffic arrangement, it may be helpful to optimize
things by hand, but I do not think we should have a manual procedure as
the default.

> What I do is exclude the isos, build them here (the jigdo script
> automatically calls rsync to adjust times/perms/etc.) then remove the
> exclusion. At the next run the isos will be new files but when rsync
> looks it finds them already so they're just skiped.
>
>  >How does the update feature work with package indexes ?
>
> I didn't understand.

If I want to update the iso ( one of the selling point of jigdo ), I
need to recreate the package index on the cd ( or installer would not
work ). This either mean the package index is a treated like all others
files ( and then, that mean we will have to update the jigdo file each
time we create a update ), or to create the index on the fly.

>  >( and how does it work with hybrid iso, as debian seems to see this as
>  >problematic, even if I think they may have solved it, I didn't read the
>  >http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-cd@lists.debian.org/msg19292.html )
>
> I didn't follow it because it's a repository issue, not a mirror one.

Well, if we want to avoid regressions, we need to check that before
deploying jigdo.