[Mageia-sysadm] [Mageia-dev] [RPM] cauldron core/release nagios-3.2.3-2.mga1

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Mar 3 15:18:59 CET 2011

----- "Thierry Vignaud" <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 March 2011 11:30, Mageia Team <buildsystem-daemon at mageia.org>
> wrote:
>
> > ennael <ennael> 1:3.2.3-2.mga1:
> > + Revision: 63044
> > - clean spec file
> > - imported package nagios
>
> So will be able to monitor mageia infrastructure :-)

I spent about 1 hour last week creating a basic puppet module (that probably needs quite a bit more work) for xymon. Michael also fixed up my syntax mistakes and improved some things in my module.

Then, today, after noticing n2 was down, and no-one had noticed, thought maybe it was time to deploy xymon. Besides time spent on waiting for puppet, the actual effort now was about 15 to 30 minutes (but, I see some nodes haven't got their xymon::client applied by puppet yet).

> BTW, we should consider use icinga (http://www.icinga.org/) which is
> more friendle fork of nagios

I don't think we are currently big enough to warrant death-by-configuration. While xymon currently doesn't have multiple-inheritance, it is relatively flexible, and comes with quite a lot out-of-the-box (AFAIK, nagios still requires a bit of work for graphing all filesystems, network interface traffic, response times. While xymon requires some configuration for graphing network connections, number of specific processes, etc., it is very minimal).

If you prefer Nagios, feel free to replace Xymon, if you can at least meet the current features we have:

http://xymon.mageia.org/

(Currently, there is no authentication configured. Authentication is often separated by access to the cgi-bin vs cgi-secure locations, but at present rely entirely on Apache access control. I will probably require LDAP authentication to sysadm group for /cgi-secure, but maybe this warrants discussion)

However, I think we should rather spend time on ensuring we know what we *should* monitor. We only have on Xymon extension really packaged (devmon, for SNMP polling), but I will probably package some more (we use a few at work, but I haven't really bothered to package them yet).

One that may be interesting is dbcheck.pl, a relatively generic database monitoring extension that supports at least Oracle, MySQL, and a few other proprietary databases. Adding support for Postgresql would be relatively easy, mainly a matter of knowing what the SQL queries should be.

I have one for OpenLDAP replication and performance monitoring, but we don't have any LDAP replicas yet, so I might address that first.

Regards,
Buchan