[Mageia-sysadm] our new server, rabbit

Raphaël Gertz rapsys at rapsys.eu
Thu Mar 3 15:57:43 CET 2011

Hi,

Le lundi 10 janvier 2011 02:30:42, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> As Thomas noted on irc, the server bios, dirac and others are quite
> outdated, but I do not think we could update it ( as this is not our server,
> but a rented one).

The idrac is already the latest version 1.57 (Build 12).

> Rafael, you confirm that we should not update ( we can do it using
> dirac, but I would really have your approval before, and I will take
> care of it, as you may have better thing to do during work hours ).

The idrac and bios is not to be updated by end user, there is feature to
automaticaly deploy updates on reboot when needed.

> I tested the dirac interface :
> it worked quite great, except that there is a trick to make it work. I
> used a laptop ( not mine ) running Ubuntu 10.04 ( not mine, as i said )
> with the proprietary java of oracle version 1.6. The java webstart
> system didn't worked, I had to start it by hand 'javaws /tmp/kvm.jnlp'.
There is a bug on ubuntu version of java, hopefully it's not present in
mandriva (and i hope in mageia too ;)

> The system  do not let us use vnc ( blocked for security reason, but i
> guess that because they do not want too much fiddling with it and
> overloaded support ). I suspect that parsing the jnlp to get the proper
> parameter should work, but didn't searched much.

You can't, there is a web proxy already between the idrac interface (on
private lan) and the end user.

> The bios didn't recognized the arrow on my keyboard, and the uefi ( yeah
> there is bios and uefi ) did behave weirdly with my mouse, it is used to
> provides various wizard to install your server, etc.

Plz keep it in mbr boot and network boot for bios/idrac update.
The arrow can be used by disabling num-lock and use the numerical pad of
keyboard.

Best regards.