[Mageia-sysadm] New hardware for mageia servers

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Sun Oct 2 21:26:28 CEST 2011

nicolas vigier skrev 1.10.2011 20:24:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a summary of all hardware that we should buy for next trip to
> Marseille datacenter.
>

> - An ARM build host. We have a pandaboard given by PLF, however it seems
>    to require a specific old kernel to run, and would be difficult to use
>    as a build host (at least for now). So we need to buy a new ARM board
>    if we want to add ARM to the build system soon. RTP suggests buying this
>    board from Freescale :
>    http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Freescale-Semiconductor/MCIMX53-START/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMspbelMIdDJdKswmyqRD7aG
>    122,93 euros

I guess RTP knows best about arm, so no objections...

> - new disk to replace failing disks on ecosse and on valstar, and 2 new
>    disks for build nodes (raid1 for system fs, raid0 for build filesystem
>    for improved performances), and a disk for the ARM board :
>    2TB (valstar) + 1TB * 4 =>  169.99 + 4 * 84.99 = 509.95 euros
>    http://www.materiel.net/disque-dur-3-5-pouces/western-digital-re4-s-ata-2-to-64-mo-52965.html
>    http://www.materiel.net/disque-dur-3-5-pouces/western-digital-re4-s-ata-1-to-64-mo-62975.html
>    WD RE4 drives are more expensive than Caviar Black, but seems to be
>    better if we want less disk failures.

Yep.  the Raid Edition disks are very reliable.
I think we should even switch both disks on valstar as it's the most
important server we have.

> - backup server : we need a server with a lot of disk space, to save
>    data from other servers. Fast CPU or a lot of ram is not needed on
>    this server.
>    dams suggested buying this server :
>    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=sv4r415&c=fr&l=fr&s=bsd&cs=frbsdt1&model_id=poweredge-r415
>    899 euros
>    adding :
>      * Redundant power supply (132 euros)
>      * 4 * 1TB disks (4 * 332 euros)
>    Total: 2 261 euros

So a max of ~3TB disk space (with raid5).

I'd also suggest a: iDRAC6 Express remote card for 67€

And then send theese specs as on offer request to a Dell sales
representative, as they can give better prices than the online configurator.

>    So total is quite expensive. An other solution could be to buy a cheap
>    computer that one of us keep at home/office, doing remote backups. Or
>    maybe we can find someone to donate a server, so that we only need to
>    buy disks for the server. Maybe we can ask for hardware donations for
>    this server on mageia-dev and/or blog ?

Of course if someone want to donate a server, that would be nice too.

I can do remote backups as a (secondary) "offsite" backup if necessary.

> - server for packagers, to host VMs used to test package builds. This
>    needs to be a fast server, with a lot of RAM. Should we buy an
>    expensive server for this now ? Or wait until we have more money, or
>    someone donate a server for this ? Or rent a server at 60 euros /
>    month on online.net ?
>    http://www.online.net/serveur-dedie/offre-dedibox-pro-r210.xhtml

I'd go for an own server if we have the cash (and if not ask for
contributions (hw/cash)....)

But one thing... How much rack space do we have available ?

--
Thomas