[Mageia-sysadm] New hardware for mageia servers

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Sun Oct 2 23:31:29 CEST 2011

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011, Romain d'Alverny wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 19:24, nicolas vigier <boklm at mars-attacks.org> wrote:
> >  Total: 2 261 euros
> >  So total is quite expensive.
>
> Provided the role these hardware will play, this looks still rather
> cheap on the contrary. There may be alternatives but this doesn't look
> that expensive.

I think 2000 euros for a server that will only do backups is expensive.
We could buy a cheap server like this on ebay :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMC-EMC2-Centera-SN3-1U-Rack-Storage-Server-SAN-WORKS-/290613771957?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item43a9ee3eb5#ht_4902wt_1272
http://cgi.ebay.fr/SUPERMICRO-Serveur-Rackable-P4-3GHz-/360375218814?pt=FR_GH_Informatique_R%C3%A9seau_Wi_Fi_Serveurs_Stations&hash=item53e809727e
add 4 sata drives and do the same backups.

If we have 2000 euros for a server, I think it would be better to buy
a fast server for packagers, with 12 cores, 32GB of RAM and one disk.
If we have more money we can replace disks in build nodes with 240GB SSD.