[Mageia-sysadm] Valstar needs disk replacement...

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Sep 7 14:58:29 CEST 2011

Le mercredi 07 septembre 2011 à 15:40 +0300, Thomas Backlund a écrit :
> Michael Scherer skrev 7.9.2011 15:00:
> > Le mercredi 07 septembre 2011 à 11:53 +0300, Thomas Backlund a écrit :
> >> /dev/sdb disk needs to be replaced.
> >>
> >> Type:
> >> Device Model:     WDC WD2001FASS-00W2B0
> >> Serial Number:    WD-WMAY00339246
> >> Firmware Version: 05.01D05
> >> User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes
> >>

> > We have hardware raid so this is not gonna be a urgency right now, but
> > still. The 2 drives are the same model, so that's not good.
> >

> Hardware raid ?  then why are we using mdadm ?

Indeed, I was not fully awake :/

> And it's better to replace the disk asap anyway before the second disc
> gets into trouble considering the importance of valstar.
>
> > The remplacement would be around 150 euros, and I think we can ask it to
> > be sent to lost oasis, and someone just has to plug/unplug ( thanks to
> > hardware raid ).
>
> or did you mean hotswap when you talked about hardware raid above ?

Yes.

> (if so we could be nice to mdadm and fail the disk before it gets removed)
>
> But we also should replace the failing disc in ecosse, preferrably by a
> raid1 (+raid0) setup.  (and why not the same for jonund when "we" are on
> site anyway)

I suspect that this will wait, as we didn't even planned to go there
( even if we talked 3 months ago about that ).

> > Who is volunteer ? ( I am leaving for a business trip this afternoon, so
> > I cannot do anything until I am back on next week )
> >

> I guess this needs to be done by someone in france...

Depend on what is needed, ie, we can ask to someone in Marseille
( either some guy at LO like gradator, perenoel, or to people living
there like Maat and Ofaurax, who were both volunteers for such situation
).

But the whole coordination can be done remotely.