[Mageia-sysadm] [council] A new server to replace rabbit.mageia.org

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Thu Jul 5 14:15:41 CEST 2012

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012, Thomas Backlund wrote:

> > - HDD controller: Dell H200 (hardware raid)
>
> but no cache, and apparently  not capable of doing raid split on same disks.
>
> > - HDD: 2 x 600GB, SAS 6Gbps, 3"5 15k (in RAID 0) Careful: can't add more
> > HDD! If we choose, the backpane for 4HDD, HDD will be 10k instead of
> > 15k... Add adding SSD on our side will break Dell warranty...
>
> Well, it cant be Raid0 only. because one disk will break during rc/final
> and we loose all build work and iso images.
> (and since we dont have any local sysadmin ready to go fix things
>  fast, that will be really bad...)
>
> So we need either a raid controller capable of doing split, or run
> with 4 disks, so we maintain bootable system and readybuilt isos
> even when one disk dies.

It seems it's not possible to have an other hardware raid controller on
this server. But we can use software raid instead. We could have one
20GB raid1 partition for system, and a bigger partition in raid0 for
build data. If we lose a disk during rc/final, we may loose some data,
we can reformat the data partition using only one disk and continue
building isos, until we can replace the disk.