[Mageia-sysadm] [council] Re: A new server to replace rabbit.mageia.org

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Wed Jul 11 18:29:11 CEST 2012

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012, Thomas Backlund wrote:

> 05.07.2012 18:34, Damien Lallement skrev:> Here comes a new
> configuration with all remarks taken in account:
> >
> > FYI, we had:
> > http://www.online.net/serveur-dedie/offre-dedibox-professionnel-dell.xhtml
> > The bad points of the server we had were:
> > - "small" and old CPU as it was a "green" and old server
> > - big IO trouble as HDD are in SATA only
> > The good points were:
> > - 16 GB of RAM
> > - 2x2TB of HDD
> > - HW raid
> >
> > I made a NEW configuration with a Dell PowerEdge R320 and all your
> remarks:
> > - CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2407 2.20GHz, 10M, 6.4GT/s, No Turbo, 4C, 80W
> > Here is a link to compare the actual CPU of rabbit and the new one:
> > http://ark.intel.com/compare/43233,52275,64614
>
> So we gained 340 MHz / core if we ignore Turbo mode, but we also
> lost hyperthreading... so compressing livecds will most likely
> be any faster.
>
> > - RAM: 32GB DDR3 1333MHz (16GB on the previous proposal)
>
> OK
>
> > - HDD controller: PERC H710 RAID Controller, 512MB NV Cache, (HW RAID)
>
> Nice controller.
>
> > - HDD: 2 x 1TB Near-Line SAS 6Gbps, 3"5 7.2k (in RAID 1)
>
> Back to sata speed disks

Problem is that SAS disks are very expensive. So it increases the price
a lot.

> > - iDRAC7 Express (not on the previous proposal)
>
> Nice
>
> > - Dual Hot Plug Power Supplies 350W (not on the previous proposal)
>
> Nice
>
> > Cost: ~2800 € without taxes*
> >
> > * I asked a reduction to Dell. Stay tuned!
> > So, WDYT about this NEW proposal?
> >

> I'd rather take the old one then, add 2x300GB in raid1 and 2x300 in
> raid0, and add 32GB ram to that one...

The old one (R210 II) with 4*300GB and 32GB of ram costs 3 695 euros
(without tax).

It's 420 euros for each 300GB disk, so we have 1680 euros of disks.
600 GB disks are at 510 euros each. Unfortunatly 300GB disks are not a
lot cheaper than 600GB ones.

Switching from 16GB (4*4GB) to 32GB (4*8GB) of ram adds 1223 euros.

On R320, 16GB RDIMM costs 295 euros. Maybe if we have 32GB of ram, we
can use 16GB for tmpfs to store temporary build files, and it can
compensate not having SAS disks ? Or 48 or 64GB ?

> Or as a different proposal...
>
> What if we make ecosse our new rabbit ?
>
> It has dual Xeon 5000 series Quad core running at 2.66 / core
> (so 8 real cores available)
>
> It currently has 8GB of RAM
>
> We would need to buy:
> - a new disk controller (as the current integrated ESB2 one sucks)
> - 2 >= 300GB SATA disks for system, frozen repo and readybuilt isos
> - 1 ~250GB SATA SSD for iso builds
> - maybe some more RAM
>
> The cash saved could be used instead for the replacement >= jonund-class
> buildhost.
>
> Would that work ?

Problem with this solution is that bios on ecosse seems to be buggy, so
we are not sure that adding a new disk controller will work. So spending
some money to buy a good disk controller can be risky.