[Mageia-sysadm] Clearifying questions

Buchan Milne bgmilne at zarb.org
Tue Sep 18 18:13:53 CEST 2012

On Monday, 17 September 2012 03:45:58 Joerg Stephan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> nice topics, all of them
>
> 1. Topic: Virtual Machines
> What do we use? xen/kwm/vmware?

KVM.

> I already done automatic setups for xen
> machines on our side. I could take a look.

At $dayjob, we have been running Xen for years as well.

However, we need a well-defined problem statement, and we should look at
current best-of-breed open-source tools to see if they satisfy our
requirements.

The current two IMHO are:
-ovirt (basis for RHEV)
-openstack

There are also some others, but IMHO these have the most developer mindshare

For other purposes, I have started packaging openstack, but got stuck at
febootstrap (and some ocaml dependencies). I can provide some more detail,
but, unfortunately these days I am quite pressed for time.

> Could be hart whitout accessing
> the machines.

Well, we need a design first, software to be packaged, configurations in
puppet etc. first, before any access is required.

> 2. Topic sympa emails
> maybe we could maniulate the databases. For we use LDAP shouldnt be the
> problem if both systems can interact.

The question is where to trigger what update based on what action.

We can build all sorts of clever functionality into identity (btw., I am the
original author). I would prefer if such functionality could be plugin-based.

Alternatively, we could handle this all at the LDAP level (e.g. provide for
non-identity changes on LDAP), such as by a script that subscribes to changes
on LDAP via syncrepl, and pushes changes to various systems as appropriate. I
have a number of scripts in production at $dayjob (e.g. one
creates/modifies/deletes accounts on a web hosting control panel). I have some
skeleton code that may be appropriate, but I don't currently have too much
time to update this code, again it should probably be more modular or allow
plugins or modules that can operate on specific changes.

> 3. On the Sysadmin side
> Backups could be done via bacula.

We should probably look at all viable alternatives. For example, any reason
not to use amanda? Or rsnapshot?

> i could set that up. Would be easy to
> integrate that in puppet for the clients. Needs talking about schedule for
> incremental and full backups. And i would need access to a backup server.
>
> 4. This ruby puppet

What is the problem, that we need to make changes?