[Mageia-sysadm] Clearifying questions

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Tue Sep 18 19:54:59 CEST 2012

Op dinsdag 18 september 2012 14:46:09 schreef nicolas vigier:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012, Marja van Waes wrote:
> >
> > On 17/09/2012 21:30, AL13N wrote:
> > > at $dayjob, an intern is developing a virtcenter (under my
> > > guidance) (which likely will be released opensource), largely based
> > > on php-libvirt.
> > >
> > > the idea is to be able to control multiple libvirtd servers
> > > (kvm/xen but i hear vmware should have some kind of libvirtd
> > > implementation too, (maybe only in their vcenter))
> > >
> > > the intern is using this as his work and will show a demo of this
> > > around Januari.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > so, if you can wait that long, it may be suited.
> >
> > - From jstephan's reply I understand he won't work on this anymore,
> > because Al13n's intern is expected to come up with a solution in Januari.
>
> That doesn't mean we should stop working on this. We don't know if the
> tool from AL13N will fit our needs. Or maybe there are other tools we
> can use, or develop our own based or libvirt. We also need something to
> generate the Mageia VMs with user key installed, maybe using draklive,
> or using a base image where we add the key.

very true, i just note what our intentions are...

the work has started for real actually today, i've worked with the intern
together.

in general, even if it needs to be finished in januari for him, he still needs
to make his paper and demotesting, so we are working with a goal towards end
of octobre to be complete and bugfree, but it's my feeling that it might well
be useful already end of september, (depending on the required featuresets for
mageia)

it might still need to be adapted for mageia use, and even if we're making
this, it doesn't mean that noone else can work on the same thing in the mean
time.

nonethe less, i'm sure the sysadmin workload is pretty big, (not to mention
the other stuff like a tool for QA update validation, backports or even 2317;
even if it's not exactly sysadmin workload).

nonetheless, if you eventually decide on using this, since i will know it
intimitely, i probably can spend some time on it.