[Mageia-webteam] Viewvc installation

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Jan 24 14:46:09 CET 2011

Hi,

since people have asked for it since a long time, and since no much
people commented on viewvc vs websvn
( https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-sysadm/2011-January/002145.html ), and so based on the fact that websvn run svn to get information ( thus would potentially overload the server when google bot team with yahoo to explore the server and our patches ), I have setup viewvc.

I can also setup websvn if someone really need, but a quick check showed
that both tools are quite similar in term of features, the only
difference being the usage of svn commandline.

There is 2 questions left ( with a default answer with a timeout of 2
days ) :
- what should be the name ( svn.mageia.org cannot be used, as it point
to a different server, a redirect can be setup to another url
however ) ?
( default answer : viewvc.mageia.org )

- do people from the web team want to customize it ( ie, if someone
devote time for that, i can add it to web like the others web
application )  ?
( default answer : I will report this to when it will be needed )

For the moment, it is not in the dns, but should soon be so people can
take a look at it.

I would just ask to not take the url as granted, in case someone find a
better name ( I am not completely satisfied by viewvc.mageia.org, but it
the easiest to type that I could find, and was more than enough for the
test I add to do ).

--
Michael Scherer