[Mageia-webteam] Viewvc installation

Benoit Audouard baud123 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 17:17:30 CET 2011

Re,

2011/1/24 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>

> people commented on viewvc vs websvn
> ( https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-sysadm/2011-January/002145.html), and so based on the fact that websvn run svn to get information ( thus
> would potentially overload the server when google bot team with yahoo to
> explore the server and our patches ), I have setup viewvc.
>
> I can also setup websvn if someone really need, but a quick check showed
> that both tools are quite similar in term of features, the only
> difference being the usage of svn commandline.

Just as an example, at tuxfamily we have both
- http://websvn.tuxfamily.org  with webSVN
- and http://svn.tuxfamily.org with viewvc (which works with cvs too iirc)

one functionality in viewvc may be disabled : "Download tarball" (it's
sometimes epic when google or any search-crawler begins to work on these
links...). The equivalent in websvn exists and could be disabled too.

There is 2 questions left ( with a default answer with a timeout of 2
> days ) :
> - what should be the name ( svn.mageia.org cannot be used, as it point
> to a different server, a redirect can be setup to another url
> however ) ?
> ( default answer : viewvc.mageia.org )

websvn.mageia.org may be an alternative not depending on the tool used (or
webvcs to be even more general, though git or hg have their own source code
webviewer, so imho it's not that much relevant to find a generic name... as
we would end with webgit / webhg depending on future "wishes"). In the end,
there may even be a generic forge.mageia.org listing all source code
repositories and related projects that will emerge one day or the other :-)

I did not find the 2nd question to be answered^Wcommented ? (perhaps it was
the "redirect thing", that webteam or sysadm can answer directly ?).

tl;dr ;-) well http://websvn.mageia.org or http://viewvc.mageia.org are ok
for me.

@++
Ben'. aka baud123