[Mageia-webteam] Forums structure : support catregory

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 05:16:54 CET 2011

On 23 March 2011 01:24, Maât <maat-ml at vilarem.net> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> ahmad(78) and i have had a talk on irc about this part of the forum.
>
> we agreed to disagree on the subject so this leaded us to search for more points of views / comments / suggestions about it.
>
> my first structure was just 2 forums :
> -- Basic support
> -- Advanced support
>
> He pushed 3 forums :
> -- Software
> -- Printers and printing
> -- Networking
>
> Then i tried to use sub-forums under "Basic support" :
> -- Networking
> -- Video
> -- Sound
> -- Printers and printing
>
> What do you think ?

Here's my proposal (based on my usage of the mandriva forums previously, the
English speaking section).

I am not going to talk bout chat/lounge forums, only the support ones.

IMHO, there should be:

- Software
  o includes questions on software packages included in the repos (e.g.
    firefox-doesn't-work, kmail-takes-ages-to-get-my-mail, gnome-panel crashes
    at login... etc).
  o Installation problems
    o that includes installer problems ("I don't know how to partition my HD",
      "I don't know where to install the thing called "bootloader""... etc)
  N.B. "Installation" could be a separate forum or a sub-forum of Software.

- General Hardware
  o Sound cards problems
  o Graphics cards and display problems
  o Hardware problems not covered by Networking and Printers forums
  I'd rather if these ^ forums weren't sub-forums, the posts can be mixed
  (judging by what I saw in the mdv forums, sound and graphics cards forums
   had low-medium traffic)

- Networking
  o this is a forum where networking experts from the community can reside,
    anything to do with networking problems goes here, NIC chipsets problems,
    wifi problems (software and hardware), routers/switches. Given how much
    networking problems Linux has, this warrants a separate forum. There's such
    a forum in the mdv forums, and it was/is a great success since Germ created
    it.

- Printers & Printing
  o this is the forum where printing problems can posted; again given how much
    printing issues exist, this warrants a separate forum

- Cauldron development:
  o this forum is dedicated to problems Cauldron users hit (ideally valid bugs
    should be redirected to bugzilla by the more experienced users).

Personally, I am not in favour of the "Basic" and "Advanced" support layout...
in the end it's all support, there can be a topic that has both basic
and advanced debugging side by side.

--
Ahmad Samir