[Mageia-webteam] Access to the web svn repository

Romain d'Alverny rda at mageia.org
Thu May 26 10:56:46 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:51, Catalin Florin RUSSEN
<cfrussen at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> While looking at svn repository, I have seen that while we intended to
>
>> have it open to the web team only
>> ( http://svnweb.mageia.org/adm?view=revision&revision=1565 ), it kinda
>> didn't work due to subsequent changes and let everybody commit there.
>>
>> So since people in the i18n team expect to be able to commit ( at least,
>> that's the impression I have from reading Oliver mail yesterday ), I
>> would like to know what should we do :
>> - let website be managed like soft/ svn ( ie, all people with shell
>> access can commit )
>> - enforce the limitation of being reserved by the web team
>
> Well, I'll try to be short:
>
> - let the people who know what they are doing do the things
> - but offer a simple and human way to contributors do their work too

/me likes github way of doing in this regard. :-p

Anyway, here, let's keep this for after the release; my suggestion would be:
 - to leave it open to everyone (easier to provide patch, although it
would be good to have a review path before commits);
 - keep the production push button to the web team webmasters (so it's
their duty to maintain the tree for production, check commits are ok
and fix/revert when needed);
 - depending on the situation, have the possibility to block abusers.

Romain