[Mageia-webteam] Missing link to forums

Romain d'Alverny rda at mageia.org
Tue May 31 11:58:59 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:46, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2011/5/31 Romain d'Alverny <rda at mageia.org>:

>>> Romain, I know that, but you spelled it out nicely: "before the wave rises".
>>> What does that mean? It means, that there is a demand, be it messy or
>>> whatever, we can not argue against the demand of users.
>>
>> Oh yes we can. :-p That's called finding a better solution. It's just
>> that, at this very time, I have in no way the time and energy to
>> handle a (heated or not) discussion about that. :-)
>
> No, you can't.
> Of course you may win any discussion and of course you can ignore
> everything and just do what you want. And you may also call it any
> name you want, in the end you have to listen to the user's demands.

There are cases where there's a significant difference between what
one demands and what one needs. And unless one doesn't challenge this
difference, there's only incremental progress in sight; at best.

>> Right, then in this very case, it's not the global nav that counts,
>> but the availability of the link on the very first front page. :-)
>
> Well, yes, that would be essential, but having it in global nav would be better.

The global nav (be it with one or two levels - and provided we still
want one) is to appear on a large set of Web sites: blog, planet,
forum, www, bugzilla, websvn, identity, ml archives, buildsystem
dashboard, etc. - and that then, it must keep its relevance as a first
level nav in all these contexts - and it needs a format/layout that
works as well; our current layout aims for a concise nav.

That's the point of the design/discussion doc I posted months ago and
that I got no feedback about.

Romain