[Mageia-artwork] Previews Icons ??

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 14:39:57 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 02:05, Olivier FAURAX <olivier at faurax.fr> wrote:
> One idea: when available, we might take stock artwork from upstream, and
> apply a "mageia style" on it.
>
> For example, we could take tango icons, and only modify the color
> palette used.
> Or for KDE, we could take the Oxygen theme (I don't know if it is really
> the name of the current one), and adapt it to the mageia color palette.
>
> This way, we have a "mageia touch" while keeping the spirit of upstream
> (mainly kde/gnome), with little work.

At first yes. But, it's not only about stock icons, it's about icons
for specific Mandriva drakxtools, namely:
 * control center
 * drak3d, drakfax, drakguard, draksnapshots, drakstats,
 * mdkonline, rpmdrake
 * userdrake2
 * transfugdrake

I'm building a script (check git://github.com/rdalverny/scripts.git )
to extract visually all medias (and it's not only about graphics, but
sounds as well). Not finished but good enough for a start. Output
(don't bookmark, this is a temp address:
http://kamelos.com/tmp/icons/report/ - uploading so a few images may
be broken for now). Patches welcome. We will need to import these into
a separate SVN (or another branch) to check progress.

The result is, there a lot to do, about 1k files to replace (included
multiple resolutions for a same item).

So these are the steps:
 * check what is not used anymore (script to do, checking source tree
for each media reference I guess?)
 * decide what to remove
 * define default media (default dummy icon, background, sound, etc.)
 * replace what is left to be replaced (with existing resources or new
ones to design).

If someone wants to take on these, please step up.

Cheers,

Romain